- 4 eggs
- Ghee or olive oil for frying
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Handful of kale, leaves removed from stalks and stalks discarded
- 1 finely chopped spring onion
- Whisk up your eggs in a large bowl or jug and season to your liking
- Finely chop the spinach, kale and spring onion
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large non-stick frying pan, and add the veggies
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until greens are wilted
- Pour in the eggs and cook for a 2-3 minutes or until it is coming away from the sides of the pan, flip and cook the other side for further 1-2 minutes
- Serve with some more veggies or on its own
Spicy Prawn & Mango Lettuce Cups
- 200g prawns (cooked and peeled, preferably large ones)
- 1 large ripe mango, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts, chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped (use less and leave out the seeds if you don’t like it too hot)
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and leave for the flavours to develop while you make the salad
- Fry the chopped shallots in a little oil in a frying pan until crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Combine the prawns with the mango and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the dressing and stir well to combine.
- Arrange 4 large lettuce leaves on 2 plates and fill each leaf with the salad mixture. Sprinkle over the cashew nuts and the crispy shallots before serving.
As with so many recipes, the ingredients can be changed to suit your larder. Here, we use butternut squash, courgette, and red onion but most any vegetable can be used.
Serves: 2 as a meal, or 4 as an accompaniment
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 4 field mushrooms
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and finely diced
- 1 courgette, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. picked thyme
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop finely.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and gently fry until the garlic turns golden brown. Remove the garlic and reserve.
- Add the butternut squash and red onion to the pan and fry until the squash begins to soften. Add the courgette and chopped mushroom stalks, and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the toasted garlic to the mixture along with the thyme, half of the parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well and divide the mixture between the mushrooms. Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the squash and mushrooms are both tender.
- Top with the remaining parsley and serve.
Delicious when finished with feta cheese (if you have re-introduced dairy) and freshly picked thyme.